Wednesday, February 16, 2011

C'mon Bruins...

  Ok, Bruins, the Sox are creeping back in the news. Spring training has started and it's all Sox all the time. Now I love the Red Sox. I have my games lined up for the upcoming season but I really want the Bruins to take center stage for once or in this case center ice.  I've loved the Bruins since the 8th grade when my teacher Sister Mary Teresa would hold rallies at school for the team. Back then I didn't know much about hockey but I learned quickly. I love the fast pace of the game, the physical play and the penalties. I love that hockey has a penalty box. Maybe it's the Catholic in me but the penalty box reminds me of the confessional. You sin, you do your time in the box (confess) and then hopefully you're done in two minutes. If you sinned big time then perhaps you get a five minute major or have to recite the Act of Contrition.  It all makes sense to me. 
   The Bruins don't always get the attention and flash that the other Boston teams receive. The B's remind me of a middle child. They are sometimes forgotten, not valued as say their older siblings, the Sox and Celtics, and definitely not as spotlight grabbing as their younger siblings the Patriots.  Of course, the Bruins can be incredibly frustrating to watch. They show flashes of brilliance here and there but not consistently. I want the Bruins to reflect the traits of the city they represent: toughness, intelligence, hard working, passion.  I know this team has it.  I've seen it. Yeah, I know they could use another goal scorer or the "ever elusive puck moving defenseman" that the media is always talking about. If they can play like they did vs. Montreal and Dallas a couple weeks ago then they might go far or at least they will be fun to watch. C'mon Bruins, give us something, I know you have it in you! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment