Sunday, June 19, 2011

Farewell Big Man

It's hard to put into words how I feel about the passing of Clarence Clemons. I've been thinking about him all day and wondering why I feel so affected by his death.  I guess it's the reality that I won't see him perform with Bruce and the E Street Band ever again and that saddens me deeply.  As fans we know the story of Bruce and Clarence and the band. These guys have been together for years and are like brothers. When attending their shows you feel their joy and love for each other and those feelings elevate the music to a whole other level. There is a special connection, a spirtual connection between the band and audience. It's hard to imagine that I won't hear those glorious sounds coming from Clarence's saxophone. Jungleland, Bobby Jean, Born to Run and so many other songs take on different meanings.                     
   There's a video on YouTube that shows a clip from the band's last concert from the 2009 tour. When the camera spans the audience it lingers for a moment on a group of fans holding a sign that says "It's only rock'n'roll but it feels like love". That sentiment sums up the E Street Band for me. Farewell Big Man and thanks for the love.

No comments:

Post a Comment