Sunday, January 9, 2011

Get Your Ducks in a Row

This morning my dad and I walked around the Beacon Hill area of the city.  It's quite a charming part of town with the cobblestone streets and stately brownstones. The area is steeped in a rich history. Some notable names who have resided on Beacon Hill include Hancock, Alcott, Bulfinch and Kennedy among others.  Walking down Pinckney Street, I was reminded of some other well known residents that lived a few blocks over. The Mallards.  Remember Mr. and Mrs. Mallard from Make Way for Ducklings? Well, as I'm walking down Pinckney I spot a lone duck just sitting there on the brick sidewalk and I immediately think this duck must be a descendant of the Mallards. (yeah, I know the Mallards in the book are fictional but just go along with me, ok?) I mean what are the chances of seeing a duck sort of just staking it's place on a Beacon Hill sidewalk in the middle of winter?



Make Way for Ducklings statue
Real duck.
Inspired by this duck, dad and I walked the few blocks to the Boston Public Garden and checked out the Wake Way for Ducklings statue.  In a city where it seems there are just as many statues of historical figures on the corner as there are Dunkin Donuts, I find it endearing that one of the most popular statues in Boston is a tribute to a duck family. 
If you have time this winter, take a stroll through Beacon Hill and the Public Garden.  You never know what you might encounter.

1 comment:

  1. Could you please get in touch with me re: your winter image of the ducks in the public garden? Thank you! Nancy Woods birdseyeviewmagazine@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete